How to choose a great domain name
Choosing a domain name requires a lot of thought and consideration, just like choosing a company name. Your domain name is your online identity.
Few tips for picking a great domain name;
- Let it be easy to type and remember
- Keep it as short as possible
- Use keywords that describe your business and the services you offer. Include the keywords that people enter when searching for your products or services. Example: jmadvocates.com
- Target your area. If your business is local, consider including your city or state in your domain name to make it easy for local customers to find and remember. Example: Nairobicabs.com.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens. Numbers and hyphens in domain names are often misunderstood. For instance, people who hear your website address won’t know if you’re using a numeral (7) or it’s spelled out (seven) or they misplace or forget the dash. If you need these in your domain, register the different variations to be safe.
- Be catchy and memorable if possible. There are millions of registered domain names, so having a domain that’s catchy and memorable is essential. Once you’ve come up with a name, share it with close friends to make sure it sounds appealing and makes sense to others.
- Research. Make sure the name you’ve selected isn’t trademarked, copyrighted or being used by another company. It could result in a huge legal mess that could cost you a fortune, as well as your domain!
- Use an appropriate domain name extension. Extensions are suffixes, such as .co.ke, .com or .net, at the end of web addresses. Choose the suffix appropriately based on your intended use and target market. For example, if your target market is Kenya you can choose .co.ke.
- Safeguard and build your brand. To protect your brand, you should purchase various domain extensions, as well as misspelled versions of your domain name. This prevents competitors from registering other versions and ensures your customers are directed to your website, even if they mistype it.
- Act fast before someone else beats you to your favorite domain. Domain names sell quickly. Register your favorite domain names as soon as possible.